We're Hiring! Join the team as our Art & Layout Manager
We are looking for an Art and Layout Manager to join the team at EN Publishing. We are looking for someone to help support our Project Managers with layout and commissioning art.
The successful candidate will be responsible for selecting and commissioning art for all EN Publishing projects. The role will require you to seek out new artists, and guide the Project Managers on the visual style of the books. You will be responsible for the overall visual look of EN Publishing books.
We have an existing team of freelance layout artists who work on a project-by-project basis. The successful candidate will be working alongside them on cover and interior layout work for books.
The most important thing to us is that you have a passion for tabletop roleplaying games. It is important that you understand the context of what you are working on, and how good layout and art enhances the game experience for the end user.
Starting in February or March 2023. This is a contractor role, fully remote working, with a flexible schedule with between 10 and 20 hours a week, and is paid an hourly contractor rate of £20.
Role ResponsibilitiesSelect/commision art for all EN Publishing products
○ Liaise with the Project Managers to agree the art style and requirements
○ Suggest existing art assets to be re-used where appropriate
○ Seek out art to meet the brief of the project
○ Commission new art and manage relationships with existing artists
○ Responsible for the overall visual look of publication’s at EN Publishing
○ Generate style-sheets for freelance layout artists to work to
○ Ensure freelance layout artists have access to assets required
○ Manage the art asset library
○ Work with the Business Manager and Project Managers to ensure projects are completed on time and within the agreed art budget
○ Ensure monthly payroll details are updated correctly for freelance layout artists and commissioned artists
○ You will work on projects as a Layout Artist alongside existing freelancers
○ Graphic design for tabletop game materials including rulebooks, cards et
○ Cover and interior layout work for books, and ensure files are print ready
○ Create graphics for sales and marketing (Promo flyers, Kickstarter graphics etc.)
The most important thing to us is that you have a passion for tabletop roleplaying games. It is important that you understand the context of what you are working on, and how good layout and art enhances the game experiences for the end user.
You will also need...
Skills to Commission Art
Be able to effectively research and source new artists
Have a good “artistic eye” and taste to select appropriate art styles for projects
Able to communicate a clear brief and timescale to freelance artists
Be able to negotiate fair and ethical rates with artists within budget and ensure clarity around the commercial licensing rights
A strong understanding of book design and layout
An understanding of visual and graphic design fundamentals
Have proven skills in typography and text layout for print and digital
Strong understanding of book design: being able to establish and adhere to a baseline grid, and use appropriately-sized margins considering the final production format and intended use etc.
Have experience of appropriate design software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)
Have strong organizational skills and the ability to work to briefs
Be able to collaborate and work with other remote working team members
Be able to work to an agreed budget
Be fluent in English
- We ask that our staff be able to attend UK conventions such as UKGE and Dragonmeet to assist with the booth/stand
- Able to attend monthly staff Zoom meetings during UK business hours
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate would also have the following, but is not a requirement for applying for the role.
Familiarity with EN Publishing products, including Level Up, Awfully Cheerful Engine and the W.O.I.N system
Experience working with tabletop games industry (card games, board games etc)
Available to attend UK based game conventions, selling and demonstrating games
Hours and Payment
- The role is for a part-time freelance contractor
- 10 - 20 hours a week (contractor to choose their own working hours)
- Hourly contractor rate of £20
Fully remote working
How to Apply
If you’d like apply for the role please send an email to our Business Manager to 'jessica [at] enpublishingrpg.co.uk’ with the subject line ‘Art & Layout Manager Application’.
Please attach a CV, covering letter and a link to an online portfolio with your email. The application deadline is Thursday 2nd February, 2023.